Thursday, May 15, 2014

Weight Gaining and Appetite Increasing Biscuits

Decided to direct my angst to a productive cause, and cook something for my picky eater of a son. Recently, all he wants is finger food. I feed him small pieces of fruits like sliced avocado, egg yolk, sliced beef AND his favourites are the biscuits, puff variety. He goes through so much a day.

Even though they are organic, I look at the ingredients (flour, skimmed milk powder, butter typically) and don't feel quite at ease that I am not in complete control.

At the same time, two other parents asked me for my opinion on pediasure for their picky eaters. I was advising one that pediasure's main ingredient is really cornstarch,why pay so much to feed your child corn starch. Then inspiration struck.

Here it goes - My baby friendly biscuits which has the texture of a shortbread. It offers the crunch factor that older infants like and it melts in the mouth right away. It is high calories (great for gaining weight), high in calcium and I was cheeky to use Appeton's lysine to give the biscuit an orange flavour. The more the child eats, the more he or she will eat. Heehee. My little fussy bossy eater eats one row of the biscuits at one sitting, so I am a happy mom.

Ingredients:
120g unsalted butter
2 teaspoon of Virgin Coconut Oil
240 g corn starch (this is why the biscuit will melt in the mouth)
120 g self raising flour (can substitute half with ground millet or ground oats)
120 g of Bellamy organic full fat milk powder
1.5 teaspoon of presoaked chia seeds (this is the binding agent)
Pinch of baking soda
0.5 teaspoon of orange flavour lysine (optional, debatable if lysine increases appetite anyway)

Instructions:
1. Melt butter, add VCO oil and lysine
2. Add in dry ingredients. If the dough is wet, add more flour
3. Bake at 175 degrees Celsius for 10 mins. Each of my biscuit is about 2 cm in diameter before baking.

Melt in the mouth biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment