Friday, February 24, 2012

I don't know how other mommies do it.

a) I finally caved in...to getting help.

I grew up with no domestic helper. My dad didn't want me to take things for granted. By 8 years old, I took over the housework at home. I would sweep and mop the floor once a week, iron my uniforms, wash dishes and even sew/patch clothes myself. Looking back, I think parents were just exploiting me as child labour. Ha. It did instill a good working attitude in me and I believe that you reap what sow.


I had fully intended to do the same to DD. I had already got her to help with watering the plants, bringing me stuff when I cook and dusting surfaces. 
If only, it's this easy to keep a toddler clean
In recent weeks, with the school opening, I have been really swarmed. There's a million and one things to do but not enough hours in a day. We don't have a domestic helper so DH and I do the household chores ourselves. I make dinners for weekdays and he would cook for weekends. On top of that, I'm in charge of grocery and financial matters. Weekends are filled with kiddie activities.


Then I had a car accident a couple of weeks ago. A minor one, but still a good wake-up call. I need to slow down, learn to delegate and accept help when needed. Looks like I cannot wait till DD grows up to assume the role of chief domestic officer.


Realising it was one thing, but finding good help is another. Salimah was recommended by a lady in the condo. She started today. I didn't know what to do with help, I actually offered her cookies and drink when she arrived. Ha. She got to work right away, and she knew exactly what to do. She was meticulous and had initiative. She cleaned better than I had ever done for the house. 


When I came out of the study room at one point and saw her washing my balcony, my heart swelled with so much gratitude and I swore I was going to burst into tears. What have I done to deserve Salimah? (Yes, I have been so busy and strung up that I am getting emo.) 


I'm glad we finally got cleaning help. Best decision I have made this week.


b) I love drinking coffee but stop taking caffeine during pregnancy. I thought I just had to wait till DD was born for some coffee liberation. Sadly (or thankfully), as I breastfeed her, any caffeine I consume gives her gas and makes her (more) active than usual. She has more problems with coffee than tea, so I can indulge in 1/4 serving of teh ice and teh tarik occasionally.


For coffee, I took one for the team (yes, hubby it's for you!!!) and extended my abstinence from coffee. I did cave in and switch to decaf coffee at one point. I know it's moot, but the psychological benefit from smelling and drinking coffee is intangible but very real. Plus I became obsessed with all coffee derivated food such coffee flavoured cupcakes, coffee candy etc.
My fave coffee cupcake at Bijou. Sadly they took this off menu.
One of DH's favourite cafes is Antipodean in Bangsar. We go there at least once weekly. Unfortunately they don't serve decaf coffee, as a matter of principles. I asked the owner several times and even posted on their facebook, to no avail. Here goes some of our conversation.


Me: Can you please put decaf coffee on your menu?
Him: *smile* No
Me: But you are a family friendly cafe, just think of the number of pregnant and lactating moms here.
Him: Erm, no.
Me: I will bring my own beans. How about that?
Him: Noooooooooooooooo.


Sigh. At least he wasn't as snooty as Artisan Roast.


After DD turned one year, I decided to test the waters by stealing sips from DH's coffee. Little to no reaction from DD. Yay! I start lite with nespresso, capuccino or latte.


Two days ago, when the owner wasn't around, I decided to order a long black from Antipodean. It tasted so good, could be partly because I couldn't have it for so long. What's even better was the fact that DD was fine! 
Liberation tastes so sweet
Lesson I learnt - as mothers (and fathers), we try to take on as much as we can for our children and our other halves, many times we forget ourselves. Sometimes, we just have to remember to cut ourselves some slack. A happier mom is a better mom.


In other news, our school is opening in a few days. Am beside myself with excitement.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the school's opening! It will be a blast! :)

    Sorry about the accident, hope all is well now. Klang Valley traffic could be insane most times.

    How much do you need to pay for the cleaning lady? Weekly work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cheryl,

      Salimah charges RM 200 pm for weekly work. She's very good but I think she only cleans around my neighbourhood.

      I had the accident in a ..........carpark. :(

      Fingers crossed!!!

      Delete
  2. Good to hear that Salimah has exceeded your expectations. Good domestic helpers are hard to come by these days.

    Sounds to me like you are suffering from "caffeine withdrawal syndrome" there hehe. A few sips once in a while should be okay, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed good helpers are hard to come by. Salimah only comes in once a week. But my place already much cleaner

      Delete
  3. Part time domestic help is definitely useful, glad u found a gd one! -Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, hope little C is having great fun and learning lots of Bibinogs.

      Yesterday (Thurs) I came home after a long day of work to find the house as clean as new. I could have kissed Salimah then. Ha.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, hope nothing too bad happened with the accident!!

    Happy that you managed to find good help, especially since you have such a busy schedule. Hope you get more rest and stay safe on the roads! We got into a road accident last year and it was quite scary...

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ai, I'm fine and the car is not too fine. You drive safe and keep safe as well.

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh, car accidents are everywhere, so glad you all are fine and unharmed. We got into one this year when the car skidded on the ice and I swear it was the scariest moment of my life. The car was wrecked but as long as we are fine and our girl is fine, we are thankful. Great that you got some domestic help if it turns out to be better for you, yeah we should cut ourselves some slack sometimes, definitely! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Summer! I read about your car accident. Thank God you and your family are fine.

      Delete